Sunday, February 8, 2015

Wiki Creation

   "The Hummingbird's Wings"

   The tech tool, "Wiki" is a hub on which anyone can create a mini version of a website.  There are options to upload photos, videos, files, and external links.  My first impression of this tool was frustration, that may or may not have been due in part to my computer's slowness or the initial confusion of what it was exactly that I was doing.
   Once I moved beyond that, I found that it could be quite fun to create a "Front Page" with foundation information and then insert links to other wiki pages I created.  This provided a great place for me to upload my poetry! I found it very simple to copy and paste my poems onto blank pages and then upload some of my photography to accompany each work.





    This tool would be an effective addition to a Writing Workshop in that it would provide older students with a "digital portfolio" for their works.  They could add clip arts, photos, or scan in artwork and share their collection of wikis with the class.  Although I still value the concept of physical artwork and writing displayed in the classroom, the Wiki tool might be a way to bridge the classroom to home gap, as well.  The student's work can stay in the classroom during the year, but his or her parents can easily view it and even comment on the Wiki Hub!

To check out my Wiki Poetry Page, "The Hummingbird's Wings," click the link below!


https://thehummingbirdswings-lettersfromkay.pbworks.com/w/page/92458500/FrontPage


No comments:

Post a Comment