Monday, February 16, 2015

The Wild 3-D Printer

2/10/2014

The day I saw a 3-D printer, was wild.

A view of one of the 3-D printers.
Bill Darry, a librarian and printer coach at the Westport library, passionately described the capabilities and features of the printers in detail.  He advocated for "Makerspaces" in schools to promote curiosity, tinkering, discovery, and innovation.  I was blown away by such a tremendous scientific advancement that I had been oblivious to only days before.

I watched a young Tyler, probably an 8 or 9-year old, as he worked diligently to create a plastic trumpet mouthpiece with the printer.  His eyes focused intently at the task at hand and lit up as he created a few quicker pieces: musical notes.  I was entranced.


Printed after a full 360-set of photos were taken of this boy's head.

An X-Box-like scanner took measurements of Bill Darry's body, which were then scaled down to create this figurine replica!

The 3-D printer would be a monumental addition to schools.  The potential it carries to encourage student creativity in a digitally saturated age is unparalleled.  Moreover, the entire concept of a "Makerspace" also seems like it would foster excitement and interest in schools.  If the children are naturally drawn to something fun like this, I believe that a tremendous amount of learning could take place.

What an amazing technological improvement that clearly is not finished evolving! I anticipate that the device will be over 100x more advanced within the next decade.  If we started out with a computer the sized of an entire room and ended up with products such as the iPhone and other devices with the word "air" in the title, I imagine this printer will be unrecognizable and limitless in potential sooner than we think.


For more information about the Westport Library Makerspace, visit: http://westportlibrary.org/services/maker-space

No comments:

Post a Comment